24 Jan 2016

January 2016

This years harvest of peaches has been excellent with plenty of large sweet fruit despite an attack of leaf curl in spring.
Its the first time I have had a good harvest from my Thompson grape vine.  I changed the position of the vine to an improved spot running along a fence with good protection from the wind, and day long exposure to the sun.

My espalier apple trees were pruned in December and are just starting to send out new shoots.  I may need to prune the shoots back again before the end of the growing period.
These strawberry runners are growing in small pots full of potting soil.  I have pinned the runners down to keep the new roots in contact with the soil, and have maintained soil moisture by sitting the pots in plastic trays full of water.  These 6 plants are enough to start a new row in an Ecobed.

No comments:

Post a Comment